How to Sort (and what we take)
Important: We reserve the right to leave unsorted materials behind. Please rinse all containers
Please note: Different types of recyclable materials can be placed in the same container as long as they are in separate bags. Example: A tote can be filled with a bag of magazines, a bag of newspapers, a bag of mixed paper, a bag of glass bottles, and a bag of pop bottles.
Here are the items we accept and instructions on how to sort them:
Glass: Bottles and jars only. No need to sort by color. When sorting bottles, please remove corks and caps
Paper: Please sort as follows:
- Corrugated cardboard, brown paper sacks
- Clean, white office paper
- Junk mail, mixed paper, chipboard (like cereal or shoe boxes, phone books)
All paper should be separated by type. All cardboard and chipboard boxes should be broken down and flattened as part of the sorting process. We do not take used tissues of any kind.
Metals: Please sort as follows:
- Aluminum (foil, food containers, etc.)
- Steel (such as those used for soup, juice or vegetables)
- Copper (such as home electrical wire, pipes)
- Brass (such as gas or water pipe fittings)
You can determine the difference between steel and aluminum products by using a magnet — a magnet will not stick to aluminum.
Plastics: We now accept all plastics with recycling symbols except styrofoam.. Please remove (but still recycle) the caps.
We also accept plastic bags and 6-pack rings. Since these items go to a different recycling center, they must be separated from all other plastics.
Ink/toner cartridges: Please wrap in a plastic bag to avoid leakage.
We now take appliances! Please call in advance on large appliances such as washers and dryers. Freon must be removed from cooling appliances by a certified technician in order to prevent severe environmental damage.
Here are some examples of appliances and other things we can take that you might not normally think of recycling:
- Lawn mowers
- Washers and dryers
- Vacuum cleaners
- Food processors
- Fans (ceiling or free-standing)
- Power cords or extension cords
- Aluminum wire
- Copper wire
- Decorative light strings like for Christmas or Halloween
- Light fixtures
- Trampoline frames
- Exercise bikes
- Electric motors, generators, alternators (any size)
- Metal auto parts
- License plates
- Aluminum doors and windows
- Sliding bathroom doors and frames
- Bathroom and kitchen sinks and fixtures
- Metal pipes and fittings
This is not an all-encompassing list. If you have similar items and need them recycled, please give us a call at 785-550-8610 or send us an email.
Please note that you do not have to be our customer for us to pick up these items. Just give us a call and we’ll arrange a date for you to put the items out.
Thank you for your help! Sorting the items helps us stay efficient and keeps our rates down.